Monday, March 3, 2008

The Inspiration has begun: 2008 Urban Word NYC Grand Slam Finals !!!





Good Morning. It is Monday and, I am still trying to find new vocabulary that could describe Saturday nights event, aside from using "Remarkable, Beautiful, Crazy, Awesome, Incredible" but, I stumble upon the word "Heaven" to describe of it. To me, whenever I hear the word "Heaven" aside from its religious relations, I think of it as inspiration. I witnessed Heaven on Saturday night.



To most not familiar with what I am speaking of, Urban Word NYC is a grassroots, not for profit program based in the inner city of New York. Their aim is uplifting youth ages 13-19 by having poetry workshops, as well as many other workshops that is not solely based on poetry. Each year around the month of February, they host the biggest youth Poetry slam event in NYC. 20 or more poets who qualify from their semifinals performance get an opportunity to perform at the final stage in front of a large audience and, before a panel of acclaimed judges. Judges choose 5 poets to represent NYC on national level in the summer for the "Brave New Voices" national poetry slam (will take place in Washington, D.C. this year). This year, they chose 6 poets.


This event really should be televised (thank you Stan Lathan and, HBO filming staff). It's vindication will show proof, when those who were not able to attend, witness raw emotions as if it were their own skin. I am still blown away and still hyped over this years slam, and this years team that, my general feelings for this event remains unconquered. Im am glad to have met Afrika Bambaataa. Im also glad that Russel Simmons had a chance to witness this event as well, hopefully he can do some yoga and meditate some change into the music industry. I am so proud of each and everyone of you guys (all the performers, whether I know you personally or not). I know how it feels, to have those nerves hitting on high, and those lights blinding you so, your only choice is ... your VOICE. Thank you once again.

*And my message to the 2008 team* :

Your summer has just begun. As Tahani Salah says, this is YOUR moment. Live your moment. I love you guys.






No comments: