Friday, February 29, 2008

My day at Urban Word NYC.


Yesterday was a very big day for me. I had to attend a press conference earlier during the day, then go drive from exit 68 (off the L.I.E.) to Jamaica, Queens, get on the L.I.R.R. to penn station (My normal routine to say the least). Urban Word NYC is one of the biggest organizations to hit the city in a while. They produce many big poetry slam for teenage youth (ages 13-19) to come express their hearts and, get judged based on the output of their performance. They hold many contest's (preliminaries and, semi-finals) during the month of February - March, around many historic poetry cafe's such as, The Nuyorican Poets Cafe, The Bowery Poetry Club and more. THIS SATURDAY AT 7PM, Urban Word NYC will be hosting its 10th annual teen poetry grand slam finals. This competition will be held at a grand stage for the masses at Washington Irving High School (In Manhattan). The judges will view a range of 20- 26, young poets, competing to be apart of the team of 5 the represents NYC in the Brave New Voices 2008 National Poetry Slam in Washington, D.C. during the summer. Now dig this, not only will HBO be in the building documenting this event, Afrika Bambaataa will be the host for this years event (CRAZY). My heart will forever be indebted into this organization cause as most of you may know, I had the honor to be apart of last year's finals at the BAM, before 2000+ people. Although I did not make the team for '07 ( and I'm now 20 :( ...) I have always vowed in my heart that I would still drive, take the train, bus, or whatever else is a means of transportation to keep connection with "U Dubb". I love you guys. A lot. Seriously.

If anyone is interested in attending this remarkable event, tickets are being sold online on their website:



More Pics:

The Fam! ( I see you Shaun LOL)


Finalist's showing their stuff!


Finalist's Singing ?! (LOL.)


I wonder why Shaun didn't wanna take a pic ... OH WELL !!! lol.

* More about my day coming up ...

No comments: